Spaghetti squash, also known as vegetable spaghetti, is the perfect option when craving pasta but not wanting the extra calories or carbs that come along with the pasta. I found this simple list of health benefits of this amazing vegetable, which should give you more reasons to try it!
Wow! Right? This squash can be used in soups or stews, or my favorite just with a pasta sauce. I’m going to share a simple way to put a dinner together using this oblong squash.
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half. Then gut out the core with a spoon. P.S. this might give you the best arm pump of your life.
- Brush each half with a tiny bit of oil (avocado or extra virgin). Then sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook in oven for 20 minutes. When it’s done cooking the edges will be slightly brown. Let cool for a few minutes.
- At this point, grab a fork and start shredding the meat out of the shell into a 9×13″ baking dish.
As for the sauce… You can be creative here. Choose a protein of choice (ex: chicken, steak, or ground beef/turkey). Grab your favorite pasta sauce. And last add pick one more veggie (bell pepper, zucchini, tomatoes, or celery). I’ll explain step by step what I chose for this recipe and how I prepared it.
- Cube 1lb chicken breast. Add to a warm skillet and brown slightly. Season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Dice 1 large green bell pepper, 1/2 yellow onion and 1 large tomato.
- Add bell pepper and onion to skillet for a couple minutes.
- Add 1 jar of Mezzetta Marinara Sauce and combine well.
- Pour sauce over spaghetti squash and top with tomatoes.
- Cook in oven for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees.
This meal took me about an hour from start to finish, but that was with my one year old wanting to be held and this and that. So, prep time may vary from person to person.
Macros: Calories- 315 Protein- 36g Carbs- 19g Fat- 9g.